All the secrets of cooking squid
Seafood is not only tasty, but also incredibly healthy. And although some of them have not yet become popular, they gradually enter our life. For example, many people are skeptical of squid, but only because they do not know how to cook them properly. And how to do it?
What it is?
Squid is a creature that lives in sea waters and belongs to the order of cephalopod decapods. Yes, squid have five pairs of tentacles, and they all grow from the head. At its core, such a product cannot be called fish, and you cannot call it meat either.
The size of such a mollusk can vary from 20-30 centimeters to 15-20 meters!
Edible almost all parts. By the way, there are a lot of useful substances, so it’s worth including such a product in your diet. The price for 1 kilogram is not high and is about 200-300 rubles. In the shops you can find frozen carcasses, chilled are not sold (to take them and keep freshness will be incredibly difficult).
How to choose?
How to choose squid? Here is what you should definitely pay attention to:
- Squid skin (film that covers the carcass) may have different colors: light pink, purple or white-gray.
- Meat can only be white. If there is a place to be grayish or yellowish, then it will speak about the low quality of the product, its disrepair or improper storage.
- It is best to choose small carcasses, their meat will be more tender, with a sweetish aftertaste. But large squid are more rough and hard meat.
- If frozen squid is easily separated from each other, this is a good sign. But if they stuck together and separated from each other with difficulty, then this may be a signal that they were frozen and thawed several times. And repeated freezing and defrosting will not in the best way affect the tender squid fillet.
- Pay attention to the date of freezing and expiration dates. Such information should be available on the packaging, and not on a sticker pasted in the store (unfortunately, customers are often deceived).
How to clean?
Cleaning squid is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance.
- The film is quite tight to the meat, but it will not be difficult to remove it if you immerse frozen carcasses for a minute in boiling water. If the squid is already defrosted, you need to either pour them with boiling water, or dip them in hot (non-boiling) water for a minute. After such manipulations, just pry off the film with a knife and remove it.
- Inside there are transparent and soft chitinous plates, they also need to be removed.
- The carcasses are ready to cook!
How to cook?
How to cook delicious calamari? There are a variety of dishes with the addition of such an ingredient. But there are some recommendations and secrets that are common to all recipes:
- The biggest mistake of many is the too long cooking process. If the squid meat is stewed or boiled for a long time, then it will become hard, like rubber. So you need to cook squids for no longer than three minutes, and preferably one minute. And some simply immerse the carcass in boiling water, then turn off the heat and leave the squid in a closed pan.
- If you “missed” the moment, you will have to increase the cooking time to half an hour. In this case, the meat will again become tender, but there is practically nothing useful in it.
- Frying squid, too, need to quickly: just a minute or two on medium heat. After that, you can cover the pan with a lid and leave the dish for an hour.
- If you are cooking a prepared dish with vegetables or other ingredients, then add squid as a last resort! This will preserve the tenderness of the meat.
- Squids require quite a lot of salt, but it's important not to overdo it, otherwise the taste of meat will simply be "lost" and muffled.
We offer interesting recipes from squid dishes.
The recipe is the first
Prepare delicious fried squid rings in breadcrumbs, this is a great appetizer! Here's what you need:
- 500-600 grams of squid;
- 3-4 tablespoons of flour;
- 4 chicken eggs;
- 1 teaspoon of salt;
- 5-6 tablespoons of breadcrumbs;
- 400-500 ml of oil (it is best to take refined).
- Carcass clean and cut into rings.
- In one bowl, break the eggs, beat them with a fork. In another bowl, add flour and mix with salt. In the third bowl (or just on the table), pour the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan (or fryer).
- Each ring of squid, first roll in flour, then dip into the egg mixture, and then immerse in breadcrumbs. After all these manipulations, send the rings to the boiling oil for literally one minute.
- Remove the finished rings with a slotted spoon and place them on a napkin to remove excess oil.
- The snack is ready!
These are stuffed squids with cheese, mushrooms and eggs. Here is a list of essential ingredients:
- 3 squid carcasses;
- 5 eggs;
- 100-150 grams of “Russian” cheese;
- 200 grams of champignons (fresh);
- 1 tomato or 150 grams of cherry tomatoes;
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 2-3 bunches of dill greens;
- salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook? Everything is very simple:
- First, clean the squid carcasses. Cut them do not need, they must be whole.
- Cheese rub on a large grater.
- Champignons rinse, cut into slices and lay out in a frying pan with preheated oil. Fry the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes, then break the eggs in and continue stirring. When the eggs begin to set, add the grated cheese and turn off the heat.
- Now fill the mixture with each carcass squid, fix the edges with toothpicks or sew. Spread the carcass on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle them with olive oil and send to the oven, preheated to 160-170 degrees, literally for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes (they fit perfectly with the squid) and decorate the prepared dish with them.
Make a tasty and interesting vegetable salad.To make it you need:
- 3 potatoes;
- 3 carrots;
- 300-400 grams of squid fillet;
- 1 can of canned green peas;
- 3 fresh cucumbers;
- 70-100 grams of mayonnaise;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Carp of squid clean and boil for 1-2 minutes in salt water, and then cool.
- Boil the potatoes in a uniform, cool and peel.
- Carrots, too, boil.
- Dice squid fillet, cucumbers, potatoes and carrots.
- Mix all the sliced ingredients, add peas, salt and pepper the salad and season with mayonnaise.
You can cook delicious and tender marinated squids. Here's what you need for this:
- 3-4 squid carcasses;
- 500 ml of water;
- 3-4 bay leaves;
- 1 tablespoon salt;
- 1 teaspoon sugar;
- 1 bunch of green dill;
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice;
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 1 pinch of pepper.
- Carcass clean, cut into rings.
- Pour the water into the pan, lay out the same bay leaf, dill, add sugar and salt, as well as oil and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Put the pan on the fire, bring the marinade to a boil.
- Squid rings put in a saucepan, pour them with marinade and cover with a lid.
- When the squid is completely cooled (in an hour and a half), they can be consumed. Bon Appetit!
Be sure to include squid in the diet and enjoy delicious dishes from them!
Updating the cover
What places to visit in Berlin
Secrets of cooking Arab tabula
Homemade bird's milk (sour cream jelly)
The trailer for the film I'
Subtlety and nuances of industrial style in the interior