Colon Cancer Treatment By Stage
How to Deal With Stage 3 Colon Cancer
It is best to treat colon cancer, also known as colorectal cancer, in its early stages. There are 5 stages of colon cancer, ranging from 0 to 4. Stage 3, Dukes C colon cancer, is one of the more advanced stages. In it, tumors have spread beyond the colon to the lymph nodes. Stage 3 is divided into 3 subgroups. These subgroups range from least to most advanced with a survival rate ranging from 44 to 83 percent. Your doctor and cancer team will explain what this stage means, answer questions, provide treatment options and help you determine which plan will work best for you.
Deal with stage 3 colon cancer in steps.Try not to get ahead of yourself by looking at the entire picture.
Admit that you are sick.This is the first step in accepting and coping with a diagnosis of stage 3 colon cancer.
- It takes time to process this information and the new emotions you're feeling. You may become a little overwhelmed, frightened or anxious. These are normal feelings, so allow yourself a little time.
Stay positive.It's normal to feel down or depressed following a diagnosis of stage 3 colon cancer, but it's important to keep a positive outlook.
- When you find you can't fight the depression on your own, see a therapist or a counselor. Your physician can also prescribe medication that can reduce your feelings of depression.
Tell family and close friends about your stage 3 colon cancer diagnosis.Finding the right words is never easy, but it's best to be candid and honest about your disease.
Educate your support system of family and close friends.Explain the extent of the disease, the treatment plan and how it will affect you.
Speak with your oncologist and cancer team about additional testing.
- Your medical team can conduct several tests before treatment begins. Doctors will gather information to determine the extent of your colon cancer. This group of tests will determine whether the cancer has spread within the colon or to other parts of your body.
Understand each phase of your colon cancer treatment plan.Often, patients require more than 1 type of treatment. In knowing the specifics, you can better deal with the treatment and recovery period.
- Inquire about surgery, radiation, chemotherapy or other new treatment plans used for stage 3 colon cancer patients.
- Ask questions when you don't understand something. This is your body, and it's important to feel comfortable with your team of doctors and your treatment plan.
Know what the overall prognosis is for stage 3 colon cancer.
Join a cancer-survivor support group.This will keep you connected to others who are dealing with stage 3 colon cancer.
- Talk about your treatment with other cancer patients and ask about theirs. Knowing other people are successfully fighting this disease can keep your spirits up and keep you current on alternative or new cancer treatment programs.
Eat a healthy diet.You may not have much of an appetite after surgery or chemotherapy, but it's important to eat right to keep your energy level up and to improve your mood and thinking.
Take naps when necessary.Your body will need rest, especially after surgery and as your treatment progresses.
Remain active as much as possible, but do not tire too much.It's best to keep your life as normal as possible. By doing this, you can better deal with stage 3 colon cancer.
- Exercise daily in order to maintain your strength. You need all the energy you can get to recover from surgery and other cancer treatments. Take a daily walk or join an exercise group for cancer treatment patients. This can boost your energy and immune system.
- Continue working, attending classes and doing other activities as much as possible. Don't get discouraged if you have to cut back on the hours of activity for a while.
Can a 75-year old female survive colon cancer?
Video: Colon Cancer Treatment
How to Wash Under the Hood of a Car
Matte Is Back: The Best For Your Lips AndTips
What Its Really Like to Train Victorias Secret Models
How to Wear Flats All Summer: 30 Outfits to InspireYou
Perché i maschi stanno diventando più sensibili (Si anche loro piangono)
13 Traditional Christmas Wedding Bouquets
How to Sort Gmail by Sender
How to Escape a Dead End Job
Breastfeeding prevents heart disease
5 Simple Ways to Detox Your Body
Fun-Filled Fruit Salads
These16 Touching Stories Prove that Kindness IsTruly All Around Us
Mushroom, ricotta thyme dip served with parmesan crisps
15 Glamorous Outfits With Feather Skirts
Yoga Poses to Prevent Back Pain by Improving Flexibility