David Choi - Enjoy the View (on iTunes & Spotify)
How to Enjoy the View
Human beings have always enjoyed viewing beautiful scenery. There’s something innately peaceful and relaxing about it. If you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed by the concerns of daily life, seeking out a beautiful view can improve your mood and help clear your mind.Whether you travel to find your perfect view or seek out some pretty scenery in your own backyard, you’ll get the most out of your viewing experience if you make yourself comfortable and immerse yourself in the moment.
Finding a Good View
Go to a pretty spot you already know if you crave the familiar.A familiar view can be peaceful and comforting, and you can get even more pleasure out of it if you make an effort to look at it with a fresh perspective. If want a view that you’re guaranteed to enjoy, seek out a beautiful vista you’ve visited before.
- A nice view doesn’t have to be anything out of the way or spectacular. Maybe there’s a nearby park where you like to watch the sunset. You might even have a beautiful or interesting view out of a window in your home.
- You can also seek out indoor views you enjoy, like a pretty reading room in a local university library or a church with beautiful stained glass windows.
Do an online search for scenic areas if you want a new experience.If you’re looking for a change of scene, do a search using terms like “scenic spots near me.” If there’s a particular kind of view you’re after, you can also search for that.
- For example, you might try something like “lake near me” or “botanical garden in my area.”
- If you’re traveling and looking for good views in the place you’re visiting (or along the way), look at guidebooks or travel websites for scenic spots to check out.
Take a walk and look for a view if you’re feeling adventurous.Do a little exploring, and you may discover some amazing new views on your own. Even if you don’t stumble across any spectacular scenery, you might still see some interesting or beautiful things here and there as you wander.
- You might try walking down a hiking trail or riding on a bike path you’ve never taken before.
- Going for a drive down a country road is another good way to find beautiful and interesting views.
Look for a high vantage point for an extra relaxing experience.Find an elevated place, such as a hill or mountain, or even an observation deck on an upper floor of a high-rise building. You may find that these types of views are exceptionally pleasant to look at. Being in high places from which you can see a large area creates an innate feeling of security and control.
- Try doing a search for “scenic overlook near me” to find natural elevated views in your area.
Fully Appreciating the View
Visit the viewing spot at a time when visibility is good.Choose a clear day or night when your view won’t be impeded by fog, smog, rain, or snow. Check the weather forecast before you go out, or just take a quick look outside to see if conditions look favorable.
- Consider the type of view you are interested in. If you like watching a peaceful snowfall on a moonlit night or enjoy the sight of skyscrapers vanishing into the fog, then there’s no need to wait for the weather to clear.
- In addition to weather and natural atmospheric conditions, factor in issues like light pollution. If you’re interested in stargazing, look for a remote area where there won’t be a lot of artificial light washing out the night sky.
Make yourself as comfortable as possible.Being physically uncomfortable can make it hard to appreciate a good view. Prepare yourself by dressing appropriately for the temperature and environment and bringing whatever supplies you need to maximize your comfort. These might include things like:
- Comfortable shoes, particularly if you will be hiking to your viewing spot.
- A folding chair, beach blanket, or other comfortable surface for sitting, lying, or lounging.
- Water to keep you hydrated, or a thermos with a warm drink in it if the weather is cold.
- A wide-brimmed hat or sunglasses to protect your eyes from bright sunlight.
- Insect repellant for areas with lots of mosquitos, biting flies, or other pests.
Look for a solitary spot if crowds and noise distract you.Loud, human-generated noise can increase your stress levels and make it harder to slow down and relax.To get the most out of your view, try to pick a spot where you won’t hear lots of traffic noises, loud music, or people talking.
- Enjoying a quiet view can be as much about timing as location. For example, your favorite park will likely be quieter and more peaceful if you go early in the morning than it would be in the middle of the afternoon.
- In contrast to traffic and other human-generated noises, nature sounds (like bird calls , crashing waves, or the sound of leaves rustling in the wind) can promote relaxation and help you enjoy your surroundings on a deeper level.
Observe the view mindfully.Being mindful can help you fully appreciate the present moment and absorb what you are seeing in a more meaningful way. Once you’ve found your ideal viewing spot, sit in a comfortable position and spend a few minutes breathing deeply. Then, gradually allow yourself to become aware of the sights, sounds, smells, and sensations around you.
- Don’t just focus on what you can see—engage in your surroundings with all your senses. For example, you might notice the colors of the trees or the fluffy texture of the clouds. Also pay attention to things like the scent of flowers, the feeling of the sun on your face, and the sounds of birds and insects.
- If you catch yourself getting distracted by your thoughts, that’s okay. Just gently steer your attention back to the scenery around you.
- You can also practice mindful observation on the move. For example, if you’re walking, switch off your mental autopilot and make an effort to slow down and observe the sights, sounds, and other sensations you encounter.
Put away cell phones and other electronic distractions.If you have your phone or a tablet with you, put it in a spot where you can’t easily reach it, like an inside pocket of your backpack. If you can, switch it to silent or turn off notifications. You can’t enjoy your view while staring at a little screen!
- If you’re really tempted to play around on your phone or browse social media, try installing an app like Freedom, Flipd, or Offtime. These apps can limit your access to distractions like games, social media, and the internet.
Capture the view in a sketch or photograph.Trying to reproduce a beautiful view, whether by hand or through a lens, can help you connect with it more deeply. Drawing a scene or snapping a thoughtful photograph will force you to observe your surroundings closely, and you will likely notice details you might have missed otherwise. It can also create a visual record that will help you enjoy and remember the view after the fact.
- Drawing or painting can improve your mood by taking your mind off your worries and giving you a relaxing task to focus on.Bring a sketchbook and some pencils, markers, or watercolors along to your favorite scenic location.
- Much like drawing, photography can put you in a relaxed but focused state. Looking for the perfect shot can help you find hidden beauty or personal meaning in your surroundings.
- Don’t worry about creating a masterpiece. Just enjoy the process of trying to capture a little piece of what you are seeing on paper or through your lens.
- Keeping a journal is a great way to hone your observational skills and reflect on the things you see around you. Consider bringing a journal with you so you can jot down your thoughts and feelings about what you are seeing.
- A good view doesn’t necessarily have to be a stunning natural landscape or a sparkling city skyline. Look for beauty in unusual places, like a run-down old farmhouse or a crowded urban street.
- Never put yourself in danger for the sake of a good view. Don’t crawl out onto dangerous overlooks, wander off hiking trails, venture out in unsafe conditions, or do other things that could put your life at risk.
- Protect yourself from the elements by wearing sunscreen, protective clothing, and appropriate shoes.
Video: David Choi - Enjoy the View - Original
Hats Off: The Best Celebrity Toppers
Spicy Pickled Green Beans
How to Make a Rose With Cake Icing
Selena Gomez and Lucy Hale Make a Very Good Case for the Classic Bob Comeback
Everlane Day Boot review: A comfortable pair of leather boots for fall
How to Get a Tattoo on Your Fingers
Take it To The Next Level, Arms Workout
How to Paint Furniture
Why a rest is as good as sleeping
Gene Therapy May Fight Brain Cancers Return
How to Loosen up a Stiff Knife