How To Make The Best Cornbread Ever: Moist Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe
How to Make Cornbread
There are few things more enjoyable than biting into a warm piece of cornbread. With its buttery goodness and its melt-in-your-mouth texture, cornbread may be the perfect side. Scroll down to Step 1 to find out how you can make your own delicious cornbread.
- Cooking time:30 to 45 minutes
1 cup cornmeal
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1½ cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
Making the Batter
Preheat the oven to 425ºF.While the oven is heating, grease an 8-inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray. If you don’t have an 8-inch pan, you can also use a 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan, or 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Make sure to grease the bottom and sides of whatever pan you choose to use.
- Instead of greasing the pan, you can also add a tablespoon of butter to whatever pan you are using and stick the pan in the preheated oven for about three minutes. When the butter is melted, take it out of the oven and swirl it around. Using a hot pan helps to make the edges of the cornbread crispy and the butter serves to increase the flavor of the cornbread.
Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl.Add the cornmeal to the bowl along with the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix all of these ingredients together so that the texture is even and smooth throughout.
- You can vary the amount of sugar you add to your recipe. Some people like sweeter cornbread, while others like to skip over the sugar entirely.
Mix your wet ingredients together.Crack two large eggs into a medium bowl. Use a fork to beat them until they are smooth. Add the buttermilk to the eggs. In a separate container, melt six tablespoons of butter. When the butter is melted, add it to the egg and buttermilk mixture and whisk all of these ingredients together.
- If you do not have any buttermilk, you can instead combine two eggs with one cup of milk and 1/4 a cup of melted butter or cooking oil. Stir this all together.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients.You can add the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture all at once. Use a spatula to get any lingering drips of buttermilk into the bowl. Fold the ingredients together until there are no more dry spots. In particular, make sure there are no pockets of cornmeal left at the bottom of the mixture. Don’t try to get out all of the lumps however--the batter should be lumpy.
- Over mixing the batter can actually lead to a tough texture so stop stirring as soon as all of the dry spots have been removed.
Baking the Cornbread
Pour the mixture into your baking pan of choice.Use a spatula to make sure you get all of the batter into the pan. Place the pan into the heated oven, making sure to note the time that you put it in.
- If you chose to heat your pan in the oven but notice that it has gotten cool, stick it back in the oven for another couple of minutes before removing it and pouring the batter in.
Bake your cornbread for 15 to 20 minutes.Keep in mind that every oven is different so you will want to keep an eye on your cornbread to make sure that it doesn’t burn. The cornbread will be ready when the top becomes a crisp golden-brown. To make sure that the center is cooked all the way through, insert a toothpick into the center of the cornbread. If it comes out clean (no batter clings to it), your cornbread is done.
Remove your cornbread from the oven.Place your cornbread on a stovetop or potholder and let it cool for five to ten minutes. Once it has cooled, use a serrated knife to cut the cornbread into pieces. The serrated knife works to cut the cornbread without making it crumble and fall apart.
To make cornbread, start by mixing 1 cup of cornmeal, 3/4 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a bowl. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter, then add them to a bowl with two large eggs and 1.5 cups of butter milk. Then, combine the two mixtures and stir until there are no dry spots. Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan and cook at 425 °F for 15-20 minutes.
- Cornbread is delicious with butter and honey.
- You can add a lot of ingredients to cornbread such as olives, diced bell peppers etc. Think creatively about your additions.
Things You'll Need
8 inch (20.3 cm) square or round baking pan
Cooling rack or potholder
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Español: , Français: , Deutsch: , Português: , Italiano: , Nederlands: , Русский: , 中文: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: BEST Cornbread - Recipe and How to Make Perfectly Sweet Moist Cornbread | YUM!
An abuse-proof format
How to Get a CDL License in New Jersey
How to Cook With Coca Cola
Pneumonia Treatment and Prevention
You Could Spend A Night In The Paris Catacombs
CRE (Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae)
Solanges gown featured one of the most elaborate structural designs of the night
How to Cut Curly Hair
Preparing Environmentally-Friendly Meals
How to Do Voodoo
How to Dress for a Gala
What You Need To Know About Super Bowl LI
How to Tell Your Wife You Dont Want Any More Children
Wildfox White Label SpringSummer 2013 Lookbook
3 Ways to Get Emo Hair