How to Make People Like You And Want to Be Your Friend Instantly
How to Make People Want to Be Your Best Friend
Wanting to be liked is a natural instinct. Wanting to have a best friend is also something that most people desire. The problem is, not everyone knows how to do this. You can increase your chances of making people want to be your best friend by projecting your best self, putting in the work, and knowing the signs that you’re coming on too strong.
To make people want to be your best friend, compliment them and pay attention to what they say to make them feel special when they’re around you. When you're talking to people, try to be confident in yourself by standing up straight, smiling, and making eye contact. Also, avoid talking negatively about yourself or making self-deprecating jokes since people want to be friends with positive people that feel good about themselves.For more suggestions, like being yourself and not coming on too strong, keep reading!
Projecting Your Best Self
Exude confidence.People tend to flock to those who have a good sense of self-confidence. They often admire them and want to be around them. Project self-confidence to others, even if you don’t have much, and you’ll likely attract more friends.
- The key to effective and attractive self-confidence is to not come off as cocky or self-centered. Simply walk with your back straight, shoulders back, and head held high. Look people in the eye and smile when you talk to them.
- Don't act like you're better than others by not speaking or ignoring them. Make everyone you meet feel like a million bucks.
Avoid negative self-talk.As much as it can be funny to make yourself the subject of a good joke, don't take self-deprecating talk too far. People don't want to be around someone who always talks about themselves too much--whether it's positive or negative.
- For example, don't let your social group catch you saying negative things like "I'm fat" or "I look hideous." People want to be around people who feel good about themselves because that type of self-confidence can be contagious.
- Belittling yourself sends the message that you're secretly low in confidence. So, avoid such language at all costs.
Start conversations.You can’t expect people to want to be your friend if you aren’t willing to put yourself out there. Strike up conversations with people whenever and wherever you can. You never know, you could find your new best friend in line at the grocery store.
- Practice what you are going to say to someone when you are alone. You could talk about the weather, the local sports team, outlandish celebrity news, or whatever you like to talk about. Having a topic prepared can help you feel more confident when you try to talk with someone new.
Join a social group to meet new people.If you want to meet new people and potential best friends, you’ll need to engage in new experiences. You’re not going to meet anyone if you aren’t willing to try new things. Finding people who are interested in what you are is a great start at finding true friends.
Be the person you want to be friends with.Is there a certain personality or trait that you find attractive when you’re looking for friends? If so, take on that trait. This doesn’t mean you have to be fake--just try to incorporate some of that into how you act.
- For instance, if you like people who go out of their way to care for others, then do that, as well. If you admire people who take risks, then start taking some of your own. Be spontaneous and step out of your comfort zone. You’ll likely not only find that you are happier, but that new friends will naturally be more attracted to you.
Putting in the Work
Be available.A person isn't going to jump to be your best friend if you don't seem willing to put work into the friendship. Great best friends are there when you need them. Make sure you are there for the people around you and spend time with them when you can. Showing that you are truly interested in their happiness and well-being will make them see that you are a true friend.
- This could mean sending texts to check in, bringing them soup when they aren’t feeling good, offering your time when they need help, and opening yourself up to them. It may make you feel vulnerable doing this, but it increases your chances of finding a best friend.
Act interested.People generally like to talk about themselves. This isn't done in an arrogant way--it's just how they best relate to others, through their own stories. Find out all you can about potential friends. Show interest in them by asking questions that get them talking.
- Ask questions like, “What’s your favorite thing to do?” “Why did you choose this career path?” or “Who is the person who influences you most?” Asking different questions like this allows you to get to know them on a personal level and opens up the beginnings of a great friendship.
Make people feel good about themselves.Part of being a good friend is acting as a cheerleader. You have the ability to make others feel good about themselves, and this is something you should take on for your friend. When you are able to lift up their spirits and support them, they will likely be grateful to you and your friendship, which can allow it to become stronger.
Avoiding Coming on Too Strong
Don’t contact them too much.When you’re just building the relationship, you don’t want to scare the person away by trying to make too much contact. Texting and calling several times a day may be overkill and could make the person resist wanting to be friends with you.
- Initially, making contact every few days or when you want to do something together is ideal. Over time, you can reach out more, but only after you’ve been friends for a while.
- A good rule of thumb is to follow the other person’s lead. Return texts or calls when they text or call you. If you don’t hear from them after a few days you can reach out, but only do it once. Bombarding them with texts and calls will just scare them away.
Recognize the signs you need to back off.If you’ve made the mistake of coming on too strong, you may be able to save your friendship by taking a step back. By giving the person space, you may make them more apt to being your friend.
- If your calls and texts are unanswered, your invitations for spending time together are often declined, or you just have a feeling that something is going wrong, your friend may be backing away from you. You can ask them what happened, or you can try giving them space and see if that makes the friendship better.
Give the friendship time to grow.Just like every relationship, this friendship needs time to blossom. Don’t expect too much too soon. If you’ve found someone you feel you’ve made a connection with, you may want to jump at the chance of spending as much time together as possible. However, this may make your new friend shy away from you.
- Take things slow and give your friendship a time to develop into something strong and long-lasting.
QuestionHow can I be friends with a popular girl?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIntroduce yourself and ask her about herself. People love to talk about themselves. Just make sure you aren't trying to be friends with her only because of her status.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I make friends with an older kid in 8th grade?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMaking friends follows about the same process no matter a person's age. Just find something that they are interested in and get them talking.Thanks!
QuestionHow to make friends if you're shy?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAlthough it may seem challenging, you can learn to make friends if you are shy. A good thing about a shy person is they are often very perceptive. Watch your potential friend and find out some things they are interested in. Then, when you see them standing alone, try to start a conversation about that topic.Thanks!
QuestionHow to know if your best friend is definitely your best friend?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe best way to figure this out is to ask. Pull them aside and say, "How do you see me as a friend? Am I important to you?" Then, listen for their answer.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I be best friends with someone my best friend hates?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf your best friend doesn't want you to be friends with another person, they may not be a great friend. A good friend should let you be friends with other people.Thanks!
QuestionWe have a girl in our grade who doesn't have anyone to be with at all, so I pulled her aside the other day and invited her to sit with us. She accepted. How do I make her feel more included?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst off, it was very very kind of you to include her when she was in this type of situation. To make her feel more part of your friend group, invite her to hang out with you and your friends. She'll see that you want to talk with her even out of the school environment. Walk with her in the hallways, and partner up for projects or assignments with her. Eventually you two will become closer and hopefully you'll hit it off.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do I do if I have a crush on a friend and I find out he doesn't feel the same way? How do I cope?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should consider taking some time apart from that friend until you're feeling a little better about the situation. Spending a lot of time around a person that you know you can't be with can be painful. Tell them that you need some space.Thanks!
How would you know if a friend likes you or not if sometimes they are nice and sometimes they are mean?
What if you had a fight with a friend and you want to become a favorite friend?
How do you get an amazing friend
How can I make someone who hates me, uh. not hate me?
Is there a way not to be too self conscious around others (especially around someone I like)?
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Português: , Español: , Deutsch: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Русский: , Italiano:
Video: 3 Jokes That Make People Instantly Like You
Use the Exercise Ball to Get Abs--and Tone Up Another Body Part Besides your Flat Belly
3 Ways to Cut Gems
How to get rid of dark circles with multani mitti
How To Solve Weird Sleep Disorders
Raspberry and Almond Layer Cake Recipe
How to Write Movie Scripts
Dolce Gabbana AutumnWinter 2012 Gym Sportswear Men’s Lookbook
A Baby Store Humiliated a Mom After Her Heartbreaking Miscarriage
How to Hang Paper Flowers
How Much Makeup Do You Need for a Likable Selfie
Southwestern Pumpkin Burgers
When Saying Sorry Isnt Necessary
How to Store Dog Food
How to Enter and Recover from a Power off Stall in a Cessna 150
Heres The First Actual Star Wars: The Force Awakens Clip