How to put a password on a folder?
Many users want to learn how to put a password on a folder so that it cannot be accessed by other users of the computer. It is a pity that the standard tools in the most popular Windows operating system for this does not exist. However, you can use some tricks, as well as programs downloaded from the Internet. Let's look at all the ways in order.
How to put a password on the account
You can, for example, just put the password on the entire account. Thus, all your folders will be impossible to access a third-party user without a password. To put the password on the account, do the following:
- Enter “Start” - “Control Panel” - “User Accounts” - “Change Account”;
- Select your account and click on the “Create Password” line;
- In the first and second line, duplicate the new password;
- In the third line you can enter a hint to the password. We recommend that you do this, since you can simply forget it;
- Click on the "Create Password" button.
After the done actions, your account on this computer will reliably protect the password. And no one else will have access to it.
How to hide a folder
Another trick is hiding the folder. The folder to which access of unauthorized people should be limited will simply not be displayed. This is quite simple:
- Call the context menu of the desired folder (right mouse button);
- Enter the folder properties;
- In the attributes put a tick in front of the "Hidden";
- Click OK.
To make a folder visible or vice versa invisible, perform such a simple operation:
- “My Computer” - “Service” - “Folder Options”;
- Select the "View" tab;
- Scroll down the list with the scroll wheel and find the line “Hidden files and folders”. Here you can choose to show / not show hidden files and folders by ticking the required item;
- Click OK.
This method, of course, will not put a password on a folder, and another skillful user will be able to find it if he is aware of such a function as hiding folders and files. If not, you can safely use it.
How to put a folder under the password using the archiver
A good way, however, if you plan to use this folder often, it is unlikely to suit you. This is done like this:
- The Winrar archiver should be installed on your computer. If not, you can download it for free from the Internet;
- Call the context menu of the folder you want to archive and password protect;
- Choose "Add to archive ...", click on the "Advanced" tab;
- Click on the button "Set password";
- Enter your password twice. It is better if it will contain from eight characters. Both letters and numbers. It is even better if it is a random set of characters, and not some date, etc .;
- Click OK. Zip the folder.
Now, without knowing the password, it will be impossible to unzip this folder.
How to put a password on a folder using special programs
There are a number of programs that you can download from the Internet, install on your computer and put passwords on the necessary folders.
One of the most popular programs is Folder Guard. This simple program has several advantages:
- A password can be set with a couple of mouse clicks simply by calling the context menu;
- It is possible to put the folder in read mode (that is, you can view the content, but you cannot edit it);
- You can quickly hide the folder;
- You can put passwords on folders that are on removable media (disks, flash drives);
- It is impossible to delete a program without a password.
There is also a program that you can find on the global network, download to a computer and install. It is called Hide Folders. With it, you can easily put a password on a folder. This program is considered very popular among PC users.
There are actually many such programs, however, the two most popular ones are the most popular, as well as the Private Disk Light program, which allows you to safely hide folders and files on your computer.
We hope that our advice will help you to put the desired folder under the password and restrict access to it to unauthorized persons.
Italian furniture: quality without a single flaw
Do-It-Yourself Deep Wood Roasting
How to cook soup from canned food
When is it better to cut hair
Buckwheat porridge with mushrooms: a recipe with photos
What diet to follow in case of diabetes
10 ideas that should be spied in street fashion
How to remove the gap between the teeth