ROASTED CHICKEN WITH EASY PAN GRAVY
Roast Chicken With Homemade Gravy Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Brush or spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with oil.
- Open the packaging around the chicken and drain the liquids into the sink. Place the unwrapped chicken breast-side-up in the roasting pan. Remove the package of giblets from the cavity of the chicken, unwrap, and place them in the roasting pan. Sprinkle the chicken with poultry seasoning.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F. Every 30 minutes or so, baste the chicken by spooning any accumulated juices over the top and sides of the bird. Start checking the internal temperature of the chicken after it has been roasting for a total of 1½ hours, then check again every 15 minutes until the temperature reaches 165F in the thickest parts of both breast and thigh meat. Total cooking time will be about 2 hours for a 6-pound chicken; if yours is larger or smaller, cooking time will vary. The internal temperature is more important than the timer for gauging when the chicken is done. Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes before carving and serving it.
- While the chicken rests, pour the juices from the roasting pan into a measuring cup; fat rises to the top in just a few moments. If more than two tablespoons of fat are present, consider removing some of it, then add water, if necessary, to the 1 cup mark.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the cornstarch and cold water, then whisk in the warm juices. Over medium heat, cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens and reaches a simmer. Stir in the salt and pepper and serve warm, with the chicken.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
Poultry seasoning may be omitted.
Cooking and Serving Tips
A quick-read food thermometer can be purchased for under 10 dollars at most grocery stores.
Do not rinse or dry the chicken before roasting it. Cooking the bird to 165F throughout will take care of any food safety concerns.
Video: Roast Chicken Pan Gravy
BHA and BHT Keep Foods Fresh, but Are They Safe
Spectacles are a delightful treat if youve got money to burn
4 Amazing Ways Music Can Heal You
How to Make German Pancakes
Plus Size Fashion Week Proves Style Is For Everyone
The Big-Boobs Tops That Are on Trend and Look Awesome
10. Listening to Mozart makes you smart
Trump micromanaged his 1995 Pizza Hut commercial shoot, ad writers say
How to Block a Program with Windows Firewall
Hats Off: The Best Celebrity Toppers
How to Work Out During THAT Time of theMonth
The Shocking Things Your Birthday Says About Your Health
14 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Sore Eyes
10 Ways for College Students to Make Money